Saturday, December 4, 2010

Random thoughts

Here's some random thoughts after my first week in the Kingdom:

Saudi's apparently don't really know how to use a toilet. They use the butt-hose and their left hand, splash water everywhere, and that's about it. I, however, use too much toilet paper and have yet to try the hose.

A man's wife is not allowed to show her face, but for him to have 3 wives is perfectly acceptable. Bro or not bro?

I'm not gonna say the locals are lazy, but  yesterday our driver decided just to 'hang out' at the base for an hour as we sat and waited for him to take us home. He then proceeded to drive us to a hotel pharmacy, leave the car on and driver's door open, and then buy prescription drugs for his wife. He was definitely concerned about getting us home.

Public 'dating,' as we know it in the US, doesn't happen, since marrying your cousins is quite normal

Not everyone prays during prayer time, but they all catch up later in the day or at the earliest convenience

Since the odds of me seeing any females in the next month are quite slim, I fully intend on experimenting with some hideous facial hair trials as well as minimal showers

The whole country is gonna be really fat in a couple years (as am I)

I like the operators/guys I work with more everyday

Thank God I had Kotwick here these 2 weeks to share in the experience, as well as Abbas and Khalid to teach me more about Islam and Middle Eastern culture

There's also sweet American guy here who's been here for almost 3 years and lives in my compound. He drove Kotwick and I around town, showed us the ropes, and introduced us to some of the guys around the base

I have no idea what I will do with my free time here in Saudi (if and when I ever have 'free time')

Khalid showed me some pretty sweet Arabic rap, but unfortunately dancing is viewed negatively. I was bobbing my head to the car radio and Abbas warned me to keep still since there were police 2 cars over

This is an idea of the internet filters here in Saudi:



I need to learn how to cook

A good and very intelligent friend of mine unfortunately failed the operational school (which I will hopefully go to in March), so the road appears even tougher now

I should get a lot of chances to go offshore, which I foresee as being awesome

I've seen approximately 0.5 clouds this week and I'm beginning to dread the summer months even more, since I've heard they can be quite tough on foreigners

I'll post some more pics soon enough...

Ma'salaama  (goodbye)

4 comments:

  1. i just laughed so hard at your googling experience. Pretty amazing that boob is filtered, it has multiple meanings besides the obvious one. i'd like to see what other inappropriate things you have attempted. Have you tried googling "the shocker"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you making the most of your time there. Is there a RSS feed for you blog that i can subscribe to. If not you should make that happen!

    Take care of yourself.

    -John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and SA would not get along if I could not dance or even bob my head along to some sweet Saudi jams(oh, plus the whole 3 wives thing, etc.) Love hearing about your experience! Take Care!

    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA that pic of Uncle Keith is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete