Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Why would I ever blog about anything?

I'll admit I had an internal debate about whether or not to blog. I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough time to update it enough to keep it interesting. I also didn't want to have a website that would turn into a place for me to vent to the world, since Facebook seems to be that for a lot of people.

But then I remembered how bored I got at work and decided if my meager posts can wrestle just one poor soul from chronic ennui, then the blog would be worth it. My goal here is simply to be interesting. Hopefully I can provide a unique view on the countries I'll be working in, the people I'll be meeting, and the lifestyle of someone working in the field for the oil and gas industry. I've been told working in oil and gas can make for some pretty interesting lives.






Here's a little synopsis of what I'll be doing and for whom. I'm working for Schlumberger, which is the largest oilfield services provider in the world. What services do they provide? Basically anything short of sticking a straw in the ground and sucking up some black gold (although if it were economically viable, I have no doubt it would be explored). They use seismic pulses on both land and sea to find new reservoirs, utilize real-time logging tools to get information about formations as companies drill, cement well bores (drilling holes) and fracture natural gas reservoirs, find water and contain carbon dioxide, clean your socks, stop global warming, fire Rich Rod, take your dog out, blow your nose, scratch your back, and basically anything else you want (provided of course, 'you' are a client with oil or natural gas).

I'll be working in the 'Well Services' segment of the business, which focuses on cement jobs, coiled tubing applications, and hydraulic fracturing.  I'll be working in Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia, which is actually a fairly civilized place from what I've read. I was originally slated for Oman, but unfortunately they temporarily ceased issuing work visas. I was a little pissed that they told me so late, but I was able to get a few things from them.

I'll try to explain more, but for now, I just wanted to get this up and running before I ship out.

1 comment: