Friday, January 14, 2011

"Half Nerd, Half Cowboy"

That's how one of my Malaysian colleagues described our jobs as field engineers, and I can definitely start to see where he came from. I thought it was about time I showed everybody what I'm actually doing for a job, outside of driving through the desert and living in sketchy accommodations, so I've got some pics from my second job, where I spent even more time on the night shift. I finally got my ID for Saudi Aramco, which means I can start to visit offshore rigs. I'm definitely getting excited for that first call to go offshore, both for the unique experience and the helicopter ride. I've been here in Al Khobar for the last two weeks, so it's about time I get back out to the field. I also luckily got my first paycheck, which helped fund my new BlackBerry (pin: 23B9E8F0), as well as a sweet Swiss army knife.

I've also learned a couple more interesting facts about life here in the Middle East after talking with some of the younger guys:

- it costs roughly 200,000 riyals (about 53 grand) to get married, which includes paying the bride, her family in gold, and a hotel room for a month after the wedding

- men can have more than 1 wife, but are limited to 4 (wouldn't want to go overboard), and Saudi Arabia's first king had 22

- everybody seems genuinely happy to see each other every morning, which makes work way more tolerable

- camel's milk is apparently an extremely potent aphrodisiac

- families are huge (I've met not one, but 2 guys who have at least 12 brothers and more than 1 sister)

Anyway, these pics should give you an idea of what i'm actually doing:

My segment of SLB uses the tools seen here. That big string that is going up to the rig at about 45 degrees is our Coiled Tubing.

We use the tubing to pump fluids/gases down into the well in order to do provide the clients with a variety of solutions. If you actually want to learn about this, just shoot me an email (jmacguid@gmail.com)

I'm next to the giant spool that holds our tubing. In case you're wondering, that rig is probably 175-200 feet tall.

Inside the control cabin, where we monitor all of the data for our tools.

Half nerd

I've gotta hand it to Saudi Arabia. They have some marvelous sunsets out in the desert. Pictures really don't do them justice.

One of my Saudi buddies, Ali.

Who says oil isn't eco-friendly? Don't worry, nothing's on fire. That's called 'flaring,' which is basically a way to relieve pressure in the well by venting the fluids/gasses that are downhole. If you're flaring diesel, it tends to ignite. 

Flaring also leaves a nice healthy trail of black all across the desert.

First picture taken with my blackberry.

Doing a nitrogen transfer. Liquid nitrogen is -320 degrees Fahrenheit, so we have to use to extra safety precautions. We use nitrogen by converting it to gas and sending it downhole to help stimulate the well.

I guess if you've worked in the company for 30 years, you don't need the extra gear.

Afternoon at the corniche, which is kind of like the beach/boardwalk in Al Khobar


Cricket game

Totally reminds me of Men in Black


First steps in the Persian Gulf

Another mosque

Lots of guys fishing

I need to stop trying to be artistic

Cool restaurant along the corniche

 Hope everyone back home is doing well! Glad to see Michigan took a turn in the right direction, inshallah (Arabic for 'God-willing.' People say it every third sentence here).











1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete